Bravo Greater Des Moines is Hiring
For more information about the Bravo Gala Event Manager RFP, please click here.
For more information and how to apply for the Communications Specialists, please see below.
Position Title: Communications Specialist
Reports To: Executive Director
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Communications Specialist will primarily be responsible for promoting and communicating the value of the cultural community and Bravo’s direct impact on enhancing opportunities for the cultural community to thrive. Working closely with the Executive Director, the Community Investment Specialist and the Community Engagement Committee of the Board, this person will provide essential support to Bravo as the organization defines our position as a leader in enhancing the role of arts and culture as a key driver of quality of life and economic development in the region.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Work with the Executive Director and Board to determine how best to effectively define and communicate the collective impact of the arts to target audiences and the broader community.
- Develop and execute communications strategies and tactics as a key thought-leader for the organization.
- Communicate and promote Bravo priorities, resources and funding programs to communities, arts organizations and related constituents while cultivating relationships among stakeholders and Bravo.
- Plan and direct development and communications to highlight programs, accomplishments, events, or points of view by writing and distributing press releases, maintain and improve Bravo’s digital content on the website and social media to ensure integrity, freshness and accuracy.
- Design and deliver presentations to boards, agencies, professional associations and community groups, as needed.
- Work with the Community Investment Specialist to identify opportunities for innovation, collaboration, partnership, professional development and networking that enhance Bravo’s reputation and leverage resources and networks to enhance community arts organizations.
- Lead Bravo’s Board Community Engagement Committee through discussions about how best to achieve identified strategic priorities.
- Share results and provide feedback to constituencies through reports, presentations and other communications.
- Lead strategic planning and implementation of Bravo’s annual meeting and other events for the community to ensure event and organizational priorities are met.
- Serve as Bravo’s primary point of contact for the Principal Charity Classic and Connecting Kids and Culture program, operated jointly with the Greater Des Moines Community Foundation.
- Support event manager for the annual Bravo Gala to ensure event and organizational priorities are met.
- Create new communications/marketing vehicles to engage, connect, and support segments of the community who intersect with Bravo.
- Provide staff support for Cultural Capital work within Capital Crossroads initiative.
- Support special projects or initiatives that enhance Bravo’s strategic goals and objectives and enhance the cultural community in central Iowa.
- Conduct research and analysis of interest areas, as directed.
- Represent Bravo during community projects and at public, social, and business gatherings, as directed by the Executive Director.
- Perform other duties, participate in special projects and Bravo initiatives as needed, including attending exhibits, events, performances and programs by Bravo cultural partners.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Excellent analytical and organizational skills; mature judgment and critical thinking ability; innovative problem solver; proven ability to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously, set priorities, handle numerous responsibilities, and work both independently and in a small team environment. Adaptable attitude, self-starter, creative, requires little regular supervision. Comfortable with frequently evolving direction and priorities.
Excellent writing, proofreading and communications skills. Strong computer, database management and internet research skills. Experience supporting online communities and demonstrated success in driving and implementing successful social media campaigns. Ability to take complex topics and make them engaging to the public. Creative thinker with capacity to analyze current successes and identify opportunities for improvement.
High integrity; Excellent interpersonal skills, able to interface well with a variety of people and effectively present information to a variety of stakeholders. Must have experience in public speaking and event management.
Highly dependable with initiative to take independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; goal oriented; Follows through on commitments. Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
Must be able to attend Board meetings and other pre-arranged meetings or events during early mornings/late afternoons.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree and two to five years related communications, marketing, and/or community engagement experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Prior program/project management experience desired with knowledge of the nonprofit arts and cultural sector and existing community initiatives strongly preferred; demonstrated commitment to enhancing quality of life in central Iowa.
Must have demonstrated ability to handle wide-range of tasks as described and proven track record of managing multiple projects in a fast-paced, professional environment.
Must have strong written and oral communication skills and must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point), Adobe Acrobat, and Social Media web platforms; proficiency with Photoshop preferred. Experience with website content management essential.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hand to finger, handle or feel. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Bravo Greater Des Moines is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and/or applicable state regulations, Bravo Greater Des Moines will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with Bravo Greater Des Moines.
Interested Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Paula Meck at Paula.Meck@aureon.com with “Bravo – Communications Specialist” in the subject line.
No phone calls please.
Applications will be accepted through June 2, 2017, or until a suitable candidate is found. Anticipated start date is July 1, 2017.