Photo credit: Heartland Youth Choir's Meet the Composer Festival
Grant funding from Bravo Greater Des Moines is made possible by the generous contributions of the following local government partners: Altoona, Ankeny, Bondurant, Carlisle, Clive, Des Moines, Grimes, Indianola, Johnston, Norwalk, Pleasant Hill, Polk City, Polk County, Urbandale, Waukee, West Des Moines and Windsor Heights.
Bravo Greater Des Moines leverages community resources to maximize the impact of arts, culture and heritage to advance regional priorities. A primary way we do this is through our Community Investment programs. Bravo’s grant recipients draw tourists, increase resident satisfaction, help attract and retain talent and generally make Greater Des Moines a premier place to live, work, play and visit.
Since 2006, Bravo has awarded more than 1,200 grants to more than 100 arts, culture and heritage organizations and programs totaling more than $50 million. Bravo is almost entirely funded through Hotel/Motel taxes invested by our 17 partner local government communities.
GC23 SPRING Grant Programs:
- Capital Project Grant (CPG)– Support for eligible capital projects by eligible organizations that received Bravo funding in the GC23 Operating Grant cycle. Projects must have a total cost of at least $15,000 and must have a useful life of at least three (3) years. Guidelines can be found here.
- Public Art Grant (PAG) – Funding for Bravo’s local government partners for public art projects or the creation of a municipal public art plan. Applicants must have a current 28E Agreement with Bravo. Guidelines can be found here.
- BRAVO/ICON Public Art Grant (ICON PAG) – Bravo, in collaboration with ICON Water Trails, offers financial support for public art projects that are on ICON access points as defined by ICON and the 28E government partner. Eligible ICON PAG applicants must have current 28E Agreements with Bravo Greater Des Moines and with ICON. Guidelines can be found here.
Timeline Summary for GC23 Spring Grants:
- February 23, 2023 - Capital Project Grant Pre-Application due by 3:00 pm
- March 6, 2023 - Applications available by 10:00 a.m.
- March 31, 2023 – Deadline for all applicants to meet with staff.
- April 7, 2023 - Applications due by 3:00 p.m.
- June 16, 2023 - Award notifications sent.
- June 30, 2023 – Capital Project Grant Agreements due by 3:00 pm
- August 7, 2023 – Public Art Grant Agreements due by 3:00 p.m.
GC24 FALL Grant Programs:
Bravo Greater Des Moines will open applications in Fall 2023 for general operating support funding to all eligible arts, culture and heritage organizations in the Greater Des Moines region. The 2024 grant period (GC24) runs January 1 – December 31, 2024.
Operating Grant Basic Applicant Eligibility:
Bravo strives to fund a broad range of arts, culture and heritage organizations in Greater Des Moines. Applicants must meet all of the following criteria, and these are subject to change for GC24:
- Be a 501(c) organization exempt from tax under the Internal Revenue Code with at least 6 months of programming history OR an agency, division or department of the State of Iowa which operates a facility open to the public.
- Demonstrate a primary organizational purpose of arts, culture and/or heritage meaning that mission, budget, strategic plan, operating plan and most programs and outcomes are primarily (at least 51%) in pursuit of advancing arts, culture and/or heritage in Greater Des Moines.
- Have headquarters in and conduct most of its activities within one of Bravo’s partner local governments.
THE 2023 OPERATING GRANT PROGRAM HAS CLOSED. To review recent Operating Grant documents, please refer to the past GC23 Operating Grant Guidelines that detail application options, materials, specific dates, and expectations. A preview of past grant application questions and specific criteria is available by clicking on the most appropriate application for the organization:
- Application for New-to-Bravo Applicants and Organizations with Actual $1,000 - $30,000 Operating Budgets
- Application for Organizations with $30,000 - $200,000 Actual Operating Budgets
- Application for Organizations with $200,000 - $2,000,000 Actual Operating Budgets
- Application with Organizations with $2,000,000+ Actual Operating Budgets
Questions about Fall or Spring Grant Programs?
Please email email@example.com or call 515-243-0388.